Wednesday 28 November 2012

Blogging Basics


Believe it or not, we're living during an amazing moment in history.  Sure, there have been inventions like the printing press and the telephone that have revolutionized the way we communicate, but in the last few years, the exchange of ideas has exploded at an alarming rate.  New genres are being formed as we speak, and they are already making an impact on how we learn and communicate.  What's causing this big explosion?  Technology.

Enter the blog.  When I was your age, the word "blog" wasn't even invented yet, let alone Facebook, Twitter, and the internet itself.  Like those other innovations of the 21st century, the blog empowers us as we express our opinions and communicate with each other.  Maybe you're like I was until recently though, and you don't really get how a blog works.  Check out this video:


With blogs, we can share ideas and grow our community beyond the walls of our classroom.  We can include images and videos to enhance our ideas in ways that words alone cannot.  We can connect with others in the world and hopefully make an impact on them.  And finally, we'll be able to track and link our own thinking as we do it.

Of course many of you already know this.  I was amazed at your responses to the blog survey you completed.  Over half of you (24 to be exact) have written for a blog already, so maybe I'm already preaching to the choir.

You're not the only students trying this genre out in hopes of seeing results.  Recently, a teacher from ISB told me all about his students' blogging experience.  One of his students, Brian Leong, wrote a post about his experience with Operation Smile, a charity organization that provides free surgeries for children with facial deformities.

Along with his post, he created a video to show what he experienced.  Well, his video went viral.  It even got back to the folks at Operation Smile.  They loved it, and not only did they contact Brian to tell him how much it meant to them, they also asked him to be a keynote speaker at their conference.

So you never know where the ideas on your blog may lead you.  One thing's for sure, they'll connect you with people and places like never before.  So what do you say?  How about we give it a try and see where it takes us?

35 comments:

  1. I personally think that the video helped me understand more about bloggers and blogging. The post also made me realize that blogging isn't always about writing about anything. Overall, I think that this post was useful to my knowledge and information about blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog post was very detailed on explaining how blogs can affect us in different ways and improve our lives. Like operation smile you gave a good example on how the author of this blog got to be the speaker in their conference. Overall it was a great descriptive blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the video helped me a lot because I have never ever touched a blog before until now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Blog, I think you used a lot of voice in your piece. I especially liked your ending where you asked a question, that gave your piece a meaning. Your overall appearance was really good, since you used paragraphs. Adding a video is a great idea and it makes me want to read your post. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really good informative post! It definitely helped me understand the land of blogging better and the video that the student made was really cool because you could see how one post could go viral.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how there was a video to support the writing and entertain the reader. I also like how your paragraphs were layed-out so it didn't look like a huge chunk of writing which bores readers most of the time, and how there was a question at the end so the readers could answer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew that blogging could help you that much in life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that blogs can be good, but could be bad. If used properly, they are a great subject to talk about, and the 'communities' of bloggers working together, is another good factor, boosting morale, as well as giving the author a reason to continue writing, however incase something bad is published, I think we should have a computer with the power to delete things, in the hands of the UN

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting this! I know much more about Blogging now. Keep posting more! This makes everything much simpler and it makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This idea makes me think how much blogging and the internet has effected our lives. A few hundred years ago we would still be writing on paper and journals but now we are writing online. There is so much technology I think that maybe we stay in front of a computer more than we play outside. The video that you posted was very effective in your post. It connected really well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like how you said what we can do about our blog but a thing that you should work on is to maybe give more personal examples

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is good, but I wouldn't give it an A+. It's kind of boring at some points, but if you add a little more enthusiasm to it, it would be interesting. Keep posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that the video is right how blogs are used for news, but specific news. The video really helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like how your post was timely and your opinion on blogs was new and the video embedded in your blog helped me understand fully. You could have added some of your new experiences with blogs too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked how the video was helpful for blog post and comments

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that this really told me a lot about blogs. I think that the video really helped me with my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This makes me realize how much of an impact technology has made on our lives as humans today, things such as no communication at the dinner table because of all the gismos and doodads we have.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The intro for your blog made my realise that technology has impacted the the way we live. Your blog on blooging gave my good info about blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This makes me realize how technology has impacted us. Now we have blogging, the internet and all the smart phones that spoil us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like how you told about your opinion clearly and explained about your topic. This makes me think that blogs are a good way to share news. I really can agree with blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never knew that blogging had such an impact on the world we live in today. I also didn't really think that technology could do so much more than I think it could. It would be cool to look into a book from the future telling about the technology we used.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This makes me realize hot technology has changed peoples life. Everyday their days are changing because of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think this teaches us how we as people have changed over-time. Only by a simple thing that has grown and changed, it can also show how we changed. Blogging has and could change some people's lives and it could be either in a good or bad way.
    I like how you put a video with the words, it makes it more interesting and a nice balance.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This makes me realize how much we have and how we are blessed with everything. great job

    ReplyDelete
  26. This post really made me think about the technology of spreading news and the new technology of the world and how fast it is going by.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I realized how you explained your blog post in a very positive way and you weren't really taking the negative parts of modern day technology.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really like how you wrote about a really personal experience that is memorable. I think something that you could work on is making it look shorter somehow so that people would want to read it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I read your blog and it reminds me when I learned that we are advancing in technology. Do you think it is good or bad?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really liked how you added a video, I think it helped people understand what a blog is.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like the way you had words and videos as a mixture. Maybe even a picture would make it even more easy to understand?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really like the way you added the video, I thought that you tried to make it really clear on what you were trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is really inspiration an to blog some more for me, so I really want to continue blogging :) :P :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really like how every single paragraph added a new thought of new evidence that completely supported your thesis in this post. I also like how you included a video to help your viewers better understand.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This helps me understand how technology affects our lives. This post helps me be more informative about blog posts. I really liked how you added a video that really made the post more interesting.

    ReplyDelete